OverDrive is a free service offered by Tallinn Central Library that lets you borrow e-books and audiobooks in English and Russian from the digital collection. All you need to get started with our free digital titles from OverDrive is an internet connection and a valid library card. You can choose to use the OverDrive digital library web site in English or Russian, the help pages are only in English.
What is OverDrive?
OverDrive, Inc. is an American enterprise that provides digital library service for libraries since 2003. The company’s global network includes more than 30 000 libraries in 40 countries. Tallinn Central Library has now joined the network, too.
What does OverDrive digital library enable you to do?
- E-books and audiobooks can be borrowed free of charge and are accessible on computers and other devices using a web browser or the OverDrive app. Downloaded titles can be accessed even without an internet connection.
- Five (5) titles (e-books and audiobooks) can be borrowed at a time, lending period is 21 days for each of them.
- Borrowed titles will be automatically returned at the end of the lending period. You may also return the title early to free up space in your library account.
- Most titles in our OverDrive digital collection have a sample available so you can read or listen to an excerpt before borrowing.
- You can place a hold on up to five (5) titles.
The user account is set to automatic lending of the title on hold when the user reaches the waiting list. If you do not wish the titles to appear on your Loans page automatically, you need to remove the check mark from “Automatic hold checkout” (go to My account -> Settings -> General). An e-mail is sent when the waiting list title is lent to you or is ready to be borrowed. You need to insert your e-mail address for every title you place the hold on. If you have not chosen automatic hold checkout you have 48 hours to borrow the title.
- Titles can be recommended to the library to be purchased for the digital collection. You need to sign in to send recommendations. Five recommendations can be sent during a 14-day period.
Read more about how to recommend titles
What do you need to know in order to use our OverDrive digital library?
- In order to use our OverDrive digital library you need to be a registered patron of Tallinn Central Library and be familiar with the e-book borrowing conditions.
- E-books may be borrowed by patrons with valid library cards and who are not debtors, more information.
- To sign in you need to insert the following:
- library card number or national ID (insert national ID if you are registered as Tallinn Central Library’s user with your ID card);
- password (the password that was given when you registered as Tallinn Central Library’s reader).
- When logging into your OverDrive account, please consistently use only one username (either your personal identity code or your library card number) in order for your loan history and reserved titles to be displayed correctly.
How to use our OverDrive digital library?
Our OverDrive digital collection is available via all web browsers on devices, including computers (Windows and Mac) or you can use the OverDrive app. You can install the free OverDrive app to borrow and enjoy digital titles from your library on your tablet or smart phone. Visit your device’s app store or app.overdrive.com to get started.
- If accessing our collection via a web browser, visit our digital collection URL:
https://keskraamatukogu.overdrive.com. If you are using the OverDrive app, then find and save Tallinn Central Library’s collection in the app.
- Browse the collection or search for your next great read. Borrow or place a hold on a title (you need to sign in to complete this step).
- Borrowed titles will appear on your Loans page on the library’s OverDrive website. From there you can:
- Download titles to your Bookshelf in the OverDrive app to read anytime, anywhere offline (without internet connection).
- Read or listen to some titles directly in your web browser without downloading. Some e-books, like read-alongs, can only be read in your web browser. For these titles, tap Read in browser to be taken out of the app and into your web browser to read it.
For more help, visit help.overdrive.com.
You can also ask from us: email@example.com
Download the app