OverDrive is a free service offered by Tallinn Central Library that lets you borrow e-books and audiobooks in English and Russian from the digital collection. All you need, to get started with our free digital titles from OverDrive, is an internet connection and a valid library card. You can choose to use the OverDrive digital library web site in English or Russian, the help pages are only in English.
What is OverDrive?
OverDrive, Inc. is an American enterprise that provides a digital library service for libraries since 2003. The company’s global network includes more than 30 000 libraries in 40 countries. Tallinn Central Library has now joined this network.
What does OverDrive digital library enable you to do?
E-books and audiobooks can be borrowed, free of charge, and are accessible on computers and other devices, using a web browser or applications OverDrive or Libby. Downloaded titles can be accessed without an internet connection.
- Five (5) titles (e-books and audiobooks) may be borrowed at a time. The lending period is 21
days for each of them.
- Borrowed titles will be automatically returned at the end of the lending period. You may also
return the title early, to free up space in your library account.
- Most titles in our OverDrive digital collection have a sample available so you can read or
listen to an excerpt before borrowing.
- You can place a hold on up to five (5) titles.
The user account is set to automatic lending of the title that is on hold. The title will be
automatically borrowed for you when the queue reaches you. If you do not wish for the
titles to appear on your Loans page automatically, you need to remove the check mark from
“Automatic hold checkout” (go to My account → Settings → General). You will receive an e-
mail notification when the waiting list title is lent to you or is ready to be borrowed. If you
have not enabled the automatic hold checkout, you have 48 hours to borrow the title. You
will be asked to enter your e-mail address only once – upon placing your first hold. You may
change your notification e-mail address by going to My Account → Holds. After you have
changed your notification e-mail address, all future notifications will be sent to the address
you entered last.
- Titles may be recommended for purchase for the library’s digital collection. You must be
signed in when sending recommendations. Five recommendations may be sent during a 14-
Read more about how to recommend titles
What do you need to know in order to use our OverDrive digital library?
- In order to use our OverDrive digital library you need to be a registered patron of Tallinn Central Library and be familiar with the e-book borrowing conditions.
- E-books may be borrowed by patrons with valid library cards, who are not debtors, more information.
- In order to sign in, insert the following information:
→ personal identity code;
→ password (the password that was given to you, when you registered as a patron of
Tallinn Central Library).
- Since August 26, 2019 only personal identity code (Estonian national ID number) numbers may be used for signing in to
OverDrive accounts. Passwords remain the same. It is possible to merge accounts of users
who previously used their library card numbers for signing in. Checkouts, history and holds
can be transferred to your new account. In order to merge accounts, you need to sign in by
using your personal identity code number at least once. After that, please send your personal identity code number and your library card number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to use our OverDrive digital library?
Our OverDrive digital collection is available via all web browsers on devices, including computers (Windows and Mac). You can also install, free of charge, the OverDrive or the Libby application, which will allow you to borrow and enjoy digital titles on your tablet or smartphone. Visit your device’s application store or app.overdrive.com (OverDrive) or meet.libbyapp.com (Libby) to get started.
- When accessing our collection via a web browser, visit our digital collection at the following
URL: https://keskraamatukogu.overdrive.com. If you are using the OverDrive or Libby application,
then find and save Tallinn Central Library’s collection in the application. You can sign in with
your personal identity code and your My ESTER password.
- Browse the collection or search for your next great read. Borrow or place a hold on a title
(you need to sign in to complete this step).
- Borrowed titles will appear on your Loans page on the library’s OverDrive website. From
there you can:
a. Download titles to your Bookshelf in the OverDrive or Libby application to read
anytime, anywhere offline (without an internet connection).
b. Read or listen to some titles directly in your web browser without downloading.
Some e-books, like read-alongs, can only be read in your web browser. For these
titles, tap Read in your browser. You will be taken out of the application and into
your web browser, where you can continue reading or listening to the book.
For more help, visit help.overdrive.com.
You can also ask from us: email@example.com
Get the Libby app
Get the OverDrive app